Rules, Regulation and Guidance on Sight Testing, Contact Lens Fitting and Sale and Supply
The Opticians Act 1989 – Part 4 sale and supply restrictions
- Restrictions on testing of sight, fitting of contact lenses, sale and supply of optical appliances and use of titles and descriptions
The following orders, rules and regulations should be referred to in conjunction with the Opticians Act 1989.
- Sight testing (examination and prescription) no.2 regulations 1989
- Sale of Optical Appliances Order 1984
- GOC Statement on Sale and Supply 2006
Guidance on sale and supply
- College of Optometrist professional conduct guidance on sale and supply
- Guidance on sight testing and contact lens fitting – College of Optometrists and Royal College of Ophthalmologists – March 2011
- Redemption of optical vouchers submitted by internet suppliers of glasses
Contact lens specific rules, regulations and guidance
The following rules and regulations are contact lens specific.
- The Contact Lens (Specification) and Miscellaneous Amendments Regulations 2005
- College of Optometrist guidance on supply of contact lenses
- Zero Powered Contact Lenses GOC factsheet
- BCLA Sale and supply of cosmetic contact lenses
Please find below a model dispensing policy that can be adapted for use in optical practices.