As well as keeping up to date on developments in core areas of practice, using CPD strategically can help you plan, grow, and adapt to a changing world so that you have a fulfilling career, and your skills are always in demand. Access a wide range of open-source CPD for you and your team:
FODO will be launching new member CPD in 2023, focussing on adding value and avoiding duplication. Email [email protected] to join our mailing list for CPD updates.
Take advantage of these free CPD courses from Docet (on which FODO has representation). Docet offers over 40 CPD courses and 20 peer discussions.
FODO members provide most primary eye care services in the UK and we encourage all members to make the most of Docet. The government funds this CPD for all UK registered optometrists.
FODO members provide most GOS sight tests in England and therefore are major funders of this LOCSU CPD. So, we would encourage all members to make the most of this funded CPD.
NES Optometry provides a wide range of high-quality CPD for the entire practice team. This includes:
- GOS mandatory training
- Peer-assisted learning
- Support for optometrists to become independent prescribers
- Glaucoma Award Training
- Partial funding for training for optical assistants
FODO members provide most GOS care in Scotland, so please take full advantage of resources offered by NES Optometry. These exist to help you and your teams supply high quality eye care to all patients in Scotland.
Optometry Wales (OW) provides about 12 CPD points per year and advertises events online. We will also update members in Wales about these CPD events via our newsletter.
FODO members provide most GOS sight tests in Wales so we would encourage all members to make the most of this CPD.
Optometry Northern Ireland (ONI) provides CPD via its sister organisation the Northern Ireland Optometric Society (NIOS). To learn more about these CPD opportunities and if you are eligible to join a CPD session visit the NIOS Facebook page.
- LSHTM supplies free online courses on a range of vision and public health topics, including retinopathy of prematurity, improving services for diabetic retinopathy, trachoma, and planning and managing eye care services. Learn more.
- The Open University (OU) offers a range of free modules on healthcare. This includes modules on Accessibility and inclusion in digital health. Access the full catalogue of free OU courses.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) runs OpenWHO.org, a platform supplying a wide range of free CPD. Learn more.
- Access free online business and administration courses from some of the world's leading universities on edX.
- Google offers free learning content, including on digital marketing and taking your business online. Learn more.
- The Skills Toolkit is a government-funded programme offering access to a wide range of education, including business and finance, marketing, and professional development. See the full list of free courses for you and your team.
- The Open University (OU) offers a range of free courses including on money and business. Access the full catalogue of free OU courses.
FODO does not take any commission nor derive any commercial benefit from signposting to the providers listed here. The goal is to make members aware of the wide range of organisations that provide free CPD covering a range of topics which might help advance your career.
If you have any open source CPD courses you would like to share, then please get in touch by emailing [email protected].