25 August 2023
FODO member update - 25 August
- August bank holiday 2023 service availability
- Cochrane review - blue-light filtering lenses
- College consultation on Guidance for Professional Practice
- OCT features associated with Parkinson's disease
- England - PCSE updates
- Wales - duty of candour
- Other sector news
August bank holiday 2023 service availability
We will be closed on 28 August for the summer bank holiday weekend. During this time, members who need support should email [email protected] for details on accessing support out of hours. Our regular service will resume from 9am on 29 August.
Cochrane review - blue-light filtering lenses
A Cochrane systematic review has investigated the potential benefits and safety of blue-light filtering spectacle lenses on visual performance, macular protection and sleep quality. The study found limited evidence to differentiate these lenses from non-blue-light lenses.
This Cochrane review supports an earlier systematic review by the College of Optometrists. Members should continue to follow the College's recommendation on blue-blocking spectacle lenses.
- New sections on myopia management and providing remote and virtual care
- Current thinking on why the 'same optometrist must perform refraction, ocular health assessment' and issue the prescription during a sight test
- A change to how diagnostic POMs are administered, including recording and oversight.
The consultation will close at 5pm on 4 October 2023. Learn more and participate.
OCT features associated with Parkinson's disease
A study published in Neurology has used AI to identify markers of Parkinson's disease in retinal OCT scans. Researchers say this might mean OCTs could be used to pick up changes earlier, which could help improve treatment options for the disease.
Professor Alastair Denniston, consultant ophthalmologist, said: "This research builds on the emerging field of oculomics." It uses machine learning to analyse large datasets collected using OCT to provide insights into the eye and overall health. Read more.
England - PCSE updates
PCSE's latest bulletin provides updates on the ophthalmic payments service, including mandating online electronic forms, PVN cancellation verification, and itemised reports. Another update will see monthly statements include itemised levy contributions for the first time.
The bulletin also covers making CET claims, how PCSE mitigates security posed by inactive users, and other items.
We advise practice owner members in England to read the latest bulletin in full.
Wales - duty of candour
Duty of candour requirements in Wales have changed per the Health and Social Care (Quality and Engagement) (Wales) Act 2020. NHS Wales SSP is hosting virtual drop-in clinics for primary care providers to learn more about accessing and using the Once for Wales Concerns Management System (OfWCMS). Learn more.
- You can still watch the College of Optometrists webinar and videos on the GOC ETR. Learn about the new route to qualification.
- There's something in your eye - ocular microbiome study gets $2.3 million.